During the year several festivals are held. Some are celebrated throughout Spain , others only in Catalonia , and even some municipal level. All international students receive the academic calendar which specifies these holidays.
Schedules and habits also tend to differ with respect to other cultures. For example:
- The shops are open Monday through Saturday afternoon , although there are plenty of bakeries and food shops open on Sundays throughout the city .
- Trade opens from 10: 00h to 14: 00h and 16: 00h to 20: 00h . Department stores or shops downtown Barcelona remain open at noon and usually close between 20:30 and 21: 30h .
- Locals tend to have meals at the following times :
– Breakfast : between 9 : 00h and 11: 00h.
– Lunch: 14 : 00h to 16: 00h ( main meal of the day)
– Dinner: 21: 00h to 22: 30h .
- Restaurants and hotels offer extended hours . In addition , in any bar in the city you can enjoy typical tapas at any time .
- Working hours : as a general rule a standard working day starts at 8 : 00h – 9: 00h , with a break for lunch between 14: 00h – 16: 00h and ends between 18:00 and 19: 30h depending on the time spent on food.